Are you interested in starting a heating, air conditioning (HVAC) and ventilation business? Use this guide on how to start an HVAC installation and repair business to help you understand and obtain the necessary requirements needed to start an HVAC company in McKinney TX as well as how to make it successful.
Overview and Considerations
The two primary tasks of a certified HVAC enterprise owner include services and installation. The installation of an HVAC system incorporates installing the units both within and without a building and running the ductwork. Services include the identification of problems on older HVAC systems and troubleshooting them. You need to consider some few things when you plan to set up an HVAC business.
- Opt to start your HVAC business at your home or rented shop. It would save you more money, even though it is illegal in some cities.
- Decide whether want to specialize in a given type of HVAC. You can specialize in residential or commercial systems.
- Consider specializing in various systems like heating pumps or geothermal heating systems that can you offer you a competitive edge.
- Consider HVAC franchises like One Hour Heating and Air that provide brand recognition and systems proven to work.
Tasks of HVAC businesses
The responsibilities of HVAC businesses are similar, whether you intend to operate by yourself or with other contractors. Here is a list of some tasks required for this kind of business.
- Schedule service and installation calls
- Prepare invoice for clients
- Set up supplier agreements
- Set up contracts
- Prepare employee schedule
- Keep tax record
- Keep business certifications, licenses and insurances updated
- Work diagnostic tools
- Advertisement and industry tasks
- Knowledgeable of HVAC systems
- Create custom ductwork builds
- Install main units
- Install ductwork
- Service old models
- Human resources
- Order equipment and supplies
- Stay current with new technologies
As a startup, you can solely operate an HVAC business. Once the business is successful, you would probably need to hire:
- General office administration
- Licensed crew
- Sales crew
Some of the required skills include installing an HVAC, diagnosing HVAC equipment and troubleshooting.
Obtaining a business license
For you to obtain an HVAC license and conduct contracted services in your locality, you need HVAC training at an accredited institution. Regional requirements can vary, but many service technicians must have two to four years’ HVAC training experience and obtain a license before practicing their services. At this point, you may additionally need to apply for an accredited business license. The cost estimates of an HVAC startup is between $2000 and $10,000, even though buying a working van and massive inventories can make these costs a lot higher.
Equipment and supplies
Below are some of the required equipment and supplies for startups:
- Hand tools such as wire strippers, hammers, pliers, etc.
- Vehicle to carry equipment and supplies
- Gauges, meters and other equipment to diagnose HVAC systems
- Tape for electrical and air ducts
- Special tools like duct staplers, duct knives and valve core removal tools
- Safety equipment like a dust mask, gloves, glasses, etc.
Below is a list of supplementary equipment that can be helpful for getting your business off the ground.
- Software for HVAC
- Backup units for HVAC
For you to see the monthly expenditure of an HVAC business, refer to this list of expenses:
- Vehicle costs such as maintenance, insurance, fuel, etc.
- Answering phone service
- Rent for office and shop
- Tools And Equipment
All these are necessary to own, run, and manage an HVAC business successfully. Therefore, if you are compelled to start your own HVAC business, use this guide to ensure you understand how the business operates and how to become successful.